Top 10 Must-Have Montana Meals
Don’t tell me what a place is like—just show me the food.
Good food reveals a lot about any destination and nowhere is that more true than good ol’ Montana.
Driving from the top of the state down to its southernmost corner, I discovered Montana’s wintertime cuisine has as much heart as the sky is big. After eating so well on my journey across the Treasure State, I compiled my own list of culinary treasures below. (Given that my sample size was limited to a mere 10 days, you are most welcome to leave other nominations in the comments.)
. . . and if it seems to you that all these things involve meat and sugar, well . . . it’s Montana, people.
My Top Ten Must-Have Montana Meals (in no particular order):
- Huckleberry Macaroons, Polebridge Mercantile, Polebridge, Montana (Worth that extra drive north!)
- Bison Meatballs, Haskill Station, Whitefish, Montana (Labelled an appetizer but a solid meal)
- Breakfast frittatta, Hidden Moose Lodge, Whitefish, Montana (Best breakfast in the state, hands down)
- Steak and Potato Pasty, Joe’s Pasty Shop, Butte, Montana (Miner’s delight–get it with gravy!)
- Lifty Dog, Yeti Hot Dogs, Big Sky, Montana (Two words: cheese and bacon)
- Elk Burger, Slippery Otter Pub, West Yellowstone, Montana (I love this place & their menu)
- Bison Potstickers, Montana Ale Works, Bozeman, Montana (Also try the parmesan pepper fries!)
- Rancher’s Pizza, Mackenzie River Pizza Co, Butte, Montana (Western-style pizza extraordinaire)
- Buckwheat pancakes, Running Bear Pancake House, West Yellowstone, Montana (Read here)
- Sleigh Ride Dinner, Lone Mountain Ranch, Montana (The best way to eat steak in winter)